Our blog has moved to a temporary url! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://66.147.244.208/~veganmu1/ and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Several recipes after a drought

I'm woefully behind on posting recipes and workouts. What can I say - finance exam über alles...

I'm actually going to list several recipes at once here to help me catch up. Ah, and, incidentally, I've lost 8 lbs now in the 5 weeks since I adopted this diet. At the same time my strength has dramatically increased...all around a win.

Here's one of my "crap it's 9 pm and I have no time to be creative" meals:

Rotini and Eggplant
  • 1 eggplant, chopped
  • mushrooms, chopped (optional)
  • low sodium jar of marinara
  • 5 oz whole wheat pasta, such as penne or rotini
Easy easy easy.
  1. Saute eggplant in a bit of water til almost tender.
  2. Add mushrooms and sauce. Cook til heated through, meanwhile cooking pasta according to package directions.
  3. Serve with steamed greens and a big salad.
And another easy pasta dish:




Lentil Bolognese Spaghetti


Traditionally made with ground beef, the lentils are (naturally) much healthier
  • 2 carrots, cut lengthwise then chopped thinly
  • 3 celery stalks, cut lengthwise then chopped thinly
  • 1/2 jar low sodium marinara
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
  • 1 cup cooked lentils (brown, French, or black beluga)
  • 5 oz whole wheat spaghetti
  1. Saute carrots and celery in 2 Tbsp water for about 5 minutes
  2. Add sauce and diced tomatoes.
  3. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
  4. Add lentils and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Meanwhile cook pasta.
  5. Serve with steamed greens and a big salad...seeing a pattern here?

Now, for the salad...it was a favorite of mine, made with a bag of "broccoli slaw" from Trader Joe's composed of shredded broccoli and carrots. I add diced Fuji apple and walnuts as well, and usually raspberry dressing. Alas, we were completely out of the dressing...So I said what the hell, why not make it myself:

Berry Dressing
  • About 1 cup frozen raspberry/blueberry mix
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • cold water as needed
Blend all ingredients.





I have several more to post but I'll save those for tomorrow; stay tuned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home